Information to Digital Forensics
Computer forensics or digital forensics is a time period in computer science to acquire legal proof found in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can find what occurred to the digital media reminiscent of emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In many case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime might happened and the way we can protect ourselves towards it next time.
Some the reason why we have to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To collect evidences in order that it can be used in court docket to resolve legal cases. 2. To research our network energy, and to fill the security gap with patches and fixes. 3. To get better deleted files or any recordsdata in the occasion of hardware or software program failure
In computer forensics, an important issues that have to be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The original proof should not be altered in anyhow, and to do conduct the process, forensic investigator must make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a bit by bit copy of the unique storage medium and actual copy of the original media. The difference between a bit-stream image and regular copy of the original storage is bit-stream image is the slack area in the storage. You will not find any slack area data on a replica media.
2. All forensic processes should comply with the legal laws in corresponding country where the crimes happened. Each nation has completely different regulation suit in IT field. Some take IT rules very critically, for instance: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can solely be conducted after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would normally looking at the timeline of how the crimes occurred in timely manner. With that, we are able to produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes could happened. In a giant firm, it is suggested to create a Digital Forensic Staff or First Responder Crew, so that the company could nonetheless preserve the evidence until the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response guidelines are: 1. Not at all should anyone, apart from Forensic Analyst, to make any makes an attempt to get well info from any computer system or device that holds digital information. 2. Any try and retrieve the info by particular person mentioned in number 1, needs to be prevented because it may compromise the integrity of the proof, during which became inadmissible in authorized court.
Based mostly on that guidelines, it has already explained the essential roles of getting a First Responder Crew in a company. The unqualified person can solely secure the perimeter so that nobody can touch the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This can be executed by taking photo of the crime scene. They can additionally make notes in regards to the scene and who were current at that time.
Steps must be taken when a digital crimes occurred in an expert method: 1. Safe the crime scene until the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst should request for the search warrant from native authorities or firm’s management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take an image of the crime scene in case of if there isn’t a any photographs has been taken.
4. If the computer is still powered on, don’t turned off the computer. As a substitute, used a forensic instruments corresponding to Helix to get some data that can only be discovered when the computer continues to be powered on, reminiscent of information on RAM, and registries. Such instruments has it is special perform as to not write something back to the system so the integrity stay intake.
5. As soon as all live evidence is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All the evidences have to be documented, through which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody preserve data on the evidence, comparable to: who has the proof for the last time.
7. Securing the evidence must be accompanied by legal officer comparable to police as a formality.
8. Back in the lab, Forensic Analyst take the evidence to create bit-stream image, Coquitlam as authentic evidence must not be used. Normally, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. In fact Chain of Custody nonetheless used on this situation to maintain records of the evidence.
9. Hash of the unique evidence and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that authentic proof and the bit-stream image is the precise copy. So any alteration on the bit image will lead to completely different hash, which makes the evidences found turn out to be inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst begins to seek out evidence within the bit-stream image by fastidiously looking at the corresponding location relies on what sort of crime has happened. For example: Momentary Internet Information, Slack Area, Deleted File, Steganography files.