Information to Digital Forensics
Computer forensics or digital forensics is a time period in computer science to obtain authorized evidence found in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can discover what occurred to the digital media similar to emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In lots of case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime may happened and the way we can defend ourselves in opposition to it subsequent time.
Some the reason why we have to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To gather evidences so that it can be used in court to solve authorized cases. 2. To investigate our network energy, and to fill the security gap with patches and fixes. 3. To recover deleted information or any recordsdata in the occasion of hardware or software failure
In computer forensics, crucial things that must be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The unique proof should not be altered in anyways, and to do conduct the method, lawyers forensic investigator must make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a little by little copy of the original storage medium and exact copy of the unique media. The distinction between a bit-stream image and regular copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack area in the storage. You will not find any slack area data on a copy media.
2. All forensic processes should follow the authorized laws in corresponding nation where the crimes happened. Every country has completely different law suit in IT field. Some take IT rules very seriously, for instance: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can solely be carried out after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would usually wanting at the timeline of how the crimes happened in well timed manner. With that, we will produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes could happened. In a big firm, it’s advised to create a Digital Forensic Team or First Responder Team, in order that the corporate might nonetheless protect the evidence until the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response rules are: 1. In no way should anybody, excluding Forensic Analyst, to make any attempts to recuperate information from any computer system or device that holds electronic information. 2. Any try and retrieve the data by person mentioned in number 1, must be avoided because it may compromise the integrity of the proof, wherein became inadmissible in authorized court.
Primarily based on that rules, it has already defined the vital roles of getting a First Responder Group in a company. The unqualified particular person can only safe the perimeter in order that no one can contact the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This can be executed by taking picture of the crime scene. They’ll additionally make notes in regards to the scene and who have been current at that time.
Steps need to be taken when a digital crimes happenred in an expert approach: 1. Secure the crime scene until the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for the search warrant from native authorities or company’s management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take an image of the crime scene in case of if there is no any photographs has been taken.
4. If the computer remains to be powered on, do not turned off the computer. Instead, used a forensic tools such as Helix to get some information that may only be discovered when the computer continues to be powered on, equivalent to information on RAM, and registries. Such instruments has it’s particular operate as not to write anything back to the system so the integrity keep intake.
5. Once all live evidence is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All of the evidences must be documented, by which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody keep information on the evidence, corresponding to: who has the proof for the last time.
7. Securing the proof should be accompanied by legal officer such as police as a formality.
8. Back within the lab, Forensic Analyst take the proof to create bit-stream image, as unique evidence should not be used. Normally, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. In fact Chain of Custody still used in this situation to maintain information of the evidence.
9. Hash of the original proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that original proof and the bit-stream image is the precise copy. So any alteration on the bit image will result in different hash, which makes the evidences found become inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst starts to find evidence within the bit-stream image by rigorously wanting at the corresponding location is determined by what kind of crime has happened. For instance: Momentary Internet Information, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.