Information to Digital Forensics
Computer forensics or digital forensics is a term in computer science to obtain authorized evidence present in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can find what happened to the digital media resembling emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In many case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime may occurred and the way we can protect ourselves in opposition to it next time.
Some explanation why we have to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To gather evidences in order that it may be utilized in court to resolve authorized cases. 2. To investigate our network strength, and to fill the security gap with patches and fixes. 3. To get better deleted information or any files within the occasion of hardware or software failure
In computer forensics, an important things that need to be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The original proof should not be altered in anyhow, and to do conduct the method, forensic investigator should make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a bit by bit copy of the unique storage medium and precise copy of the unique media. The distinction between a bit-stream image and normal copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack area in the storage. You’ll not find any slack house data on a duplicate media.
2. All forensic processes must comply with the authorized laws in corresponding country the place the crimes happened. Every nation has different legislation suit in IT field. Some take IT rules very severely, for example: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can solely be carried out after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would usually looking on the timeline of how the crimes occurred in timely manner. With that, we can produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes could happened. In a giant company, it is instructed to create a Digital Forensic Staff or First Responder Staff, in order that the corporate could nonetheless preserve the proof till the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response rules are: 1. In no way ought to anyone, apart from Forensic Analyst, to make any attempts to get well information from any computer system or device that holds digital information. 2. Any try to retrieve the information by individual mentioned in number 1, must be averted as it might compromise the integrity of the evidence, during which turned inadmissible in authorized court.
Based on that rules, it has already defined the important roles of having a First Responder Staff in a company. The unqualified individual can only secure the perimeter in order that no one can contact the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This can be executed by taking photo of the crime scene. They’ll additionally make notes concerning the scene and who were current at that time.
Steps need to be taken when a digital crimes occurred in an expert method: 1. Secure the crime scene till the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for the search warrant from local authorities or firm’s management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take an image of the crime scene in case of if there isn’t a any pictures has been taken.
4. If the computer continues to be powered on, don’t turned off the computer. Instead, used a forensic instruments akin to Helix to get some info that may only be found when the computer remains to be powered on, corresponding to knowledge on RAM, and registries. Such tools has it is particular perform as not to write something back to the system so the integrity keep intake.
5. As soon as all live proof is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All the evidences have to be documented, wherein chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody keep records on the evidence, resembling: who has the evidence for the final time.
7. Securing the proof should be accompanied by authorized officer resembling police as a formality.
8. Back within the lab, Forensic Analyst take the evidence to create bit-stream image, as unique proof must not be used. Usually, cybercrime Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. After all Chain of Custody nonetheless used in this scenario to keep records of the evidence.
9. Hash of the unique proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that original evidence and the bit-stream image is the precise copy. So any alteration on the bit image will lead to completely different hash, which makes the evidences found become inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst starts to seek out evidence in the bit-stream image by carefully wanting at the corresponding location depends upon what sort of crime has happened. For instance: Short-term Internet Files, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.