Information to Digital Forensics
Computer forensics or digital forensics is a term in computer science to obtain legal proof present in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can discover what happened to the digital media resembling emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In lots of case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime could occurred and the way we can protect ourselves towards it next time.
Some the reason why we need to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To assemble evidences in order that it can be utilized in courtroom to resolve legal cases. 2. To analyze our network strength, and to fill the security hole with patches and fixes. 3. To recuperate deleted recordsdata or any files in the occasion of hardware or software failure
In computer forensics, the most important issues that must be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The original evidence should not be altered in anyways, and to do conduct the method, forensic investigator should make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a bit by bit copy of the original storage medium and actual copy of the original media. The difference between a bit-stream image and regular copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack area in the storage. You’ll not find any slack area information on a copy media.
2. All forensic processes must follow the legal laws in corresponding country where the crimes happened. Every nation has totally different regulation suit in IT field. Some take IT rules very critically, for instance: United Kingdom, abbotsford Australia.
3. All forensic processes can only be conducted after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would usually wanting at the timeline of how the crimes happened in timely manner. With that, we are able to produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes might happened. In a giant firm, it is advised to create a Digital Forensic Crew or First Responder Workforce, in order that the corporate might still preserve the evidence until the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response guidelines are: 1. On no account should anyone, with the exception of Forensic Analyst, to make any makes an attempt to recover data from any computer system or system that holds electronic information. 2. Any attempt to retrieve the info by person mentioned in number 1, needs to be avoided as it may compromise the integrity of the evidence, by which became inadmissible in authorized court.
Primarily based on that guidelines, it has already defined the vital roles of having a First Responder Team in a company. The unqualified individual can solely secure the perimeter in order that nobody can contact the crime scene until Forensic Analyst has come (This may be achieved by taking photograph of the crime scene. They can additionally make notes concerning the scene and who had been present at that time.
Steps must be taken when a digital crimes occurred in a professional means: 1. Safe the crime scene until the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst should request for the search warrant from local authorities or company’s management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take a picture of the crime scene in case of if there isn’t any any photos has been taken.
4. If the computer remains to be powered on, don’t turned off the computer. As a substitute, used a forensic instruments such as Helix to get some data that may only be found when the computer is still powered on, resembling data on RAM, and registries. Such instruments has it is special perform as not to write something back to the system so the integrity keep intake.
5. As soon as all live evidence is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All of the evidences should be documented, during which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody maintain information on the proof, such as: who has the evidence for the final time.
7. Securing the proof should be accompanied by legal officer comparable to police as a formality.
8. Back in the lab, Forensic Analyst take the evidence to create bit-stream image, as authentic evidence should not be used. Usually, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. In fact Chain of Custody nonetheless used on this situation to maintain data of the evidence.
9. Hash of the unique proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that original evidence and the bit-stream image is the precise copy. So any alteration on the bit image will end in completely different hash, which makes the evidences found develop into inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst starts to seek out evidence within the bit-stream image by carefully trying on the corresponding location depends upon what sort of crime has happened. For instance: Non permanent Internet Files, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.